Do you ever feel overwhelmed with the process of worldbuilding? There’s just so much to learn and do, you’re building a whole world after all! But don’t sweat it. James and Seth dive into the process of getting yourself started worldbuilding focusing on the major factors that contribute to a well written world. The practice is focused on meaning rather than detail with the understanding that even the best, most detail-oriented authors were driven by their interests and passions into creating immersive worlds without worrying about creating something bullet proof.
Also, listen up because we have some big announcements in this episode.
- Meaning centered worldbuilding is more efficient and engaging vs detail centered worldbuilding
- Though detail centered worldbuilding is a ton of fun, it’s just not as efficient and tends to yield diminishing returns for your final work
- You’ll never get your world totally right and someone will always be able to find fault, you might as well embrace your passion and focus on what helps you write
- The most powerful settings made by some of your favorite authors intuitively focused on themes and that’s why their work was so effective
Links and Sundry
- Cow Hoof Doctors – Yeah, this is real thing. You should check it out. It’s mesmerizing.
- Concerning Hobbits – I still don’t buy that this economy could be this advanced
- Here’s a guy that disagrees about the Hobbit economy – I don’t find his arguments too persuasive but it’s well presented. Check it out
- Quantum Finish – Because Futurama is hilarious
- The Night Hawks – This is James’ favorite painting. You should check it out.
Get in Touch
- Join the Club – We love our Patrons and they make this world(crafting club) go round, join us for early episodes, memes and a say in the direction of the pod
- Facebook Page – Our community here is rapidly growing and super fun, it’s also a great way to find out more about what we’re up to
- Discord – Well, color yourself invited to our Discord channel where you can jaw with us about worldbuilding or help us with a collaborative project
- The Website – Oh yeah! We’ve got one of these too, check it out if you want to keep track of the blog where numerous authors talk all things worldbuilding. It’s updated sometimes.