If you were to strip your story from your setting leaving just the world you made behind would people still want to be there? If you take Rocky out of Philadelphia you just have, well, Philadelphia, Will Smith out of Bel Air and… you get the idea. Some worlds are just saturated with potential even if their stories suck (lookin’ at you Jupiter Ascending). Today Marcos and James discuss a Film Courage video featuring Houston Howard where they discuss what makes a world marketable and usable. The tools of the trade for making great worlds are more accessible and basic to the human experience than you might have imagined. You won’t want to miss this great discussion on how to put awesome story worlds together.
Links and Sundry
- Film Courage: Houston Howard on Story Worlds – this is the video we based this discussion on.
- Intro to the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air – okay there wasn’t a reason for this it’s just a great jingle. For some reason there’s also, like, a 10-hour version of this that someone put together.
- The trailer from Jupiter Ascending – I defy you to not want to watch this.
Wanna Hang Out?
- Join the Club – We love our Patrons and they make this world(crafting club) go round, join us for early episodes, memes and a say in the direction of the pod
- Facebook Page – Our community here is rapidly growing and super fun, it’s also a great way to find out more about what we’re up to
- Discord – Well, color yourself invited to our Discord channel where you can jaw with us about worldbuilding or help us with a collaborative project
- The Website – Oh yeah! We’ve got one of these too, check it out if you want to keep track of the blog where numerous authors talk all things worldbuilding. It’s updated weeklyish.