Why do people keep honking at James’ bike? How come no one cares that Marcos is streaking? Why can’t Seth get free burritos? Gameplay mechanics are where the game you’re making intersects with the world you were hoping to create. The truth is that almost any gameplay mechanic be it gunplay, stealth, inventory or crafting swipes against immersion in some way once you scratch the surface. No matter how well you pull your mechanics together you’re always going to find this but the best mechanics slot smoothly into the world by jiving with the feel and aesthetic that the creator is looking to make. Let’s dive into the specifics of how gameplay makes or breaks a world as we continue a brand new PunkCember episode of The WorldCraft Club.
Note the Notables
- Can Doomguy really hold 10 guns while effectively running around and shooting demons? Yes. If he’s a body builder.
- James wrote a thing about this.
Seth is the only one of us that bites, and we’ve already had him tested so there’s almost no risk in reaching out:
- Join the Club – We love our Patrons and they make this world(crafting club) go round, join us for early episodes, memes and a say in the direction of the pod
- Facebook Page – Our community here is rapidly growing and super fun, it’s also a great way to find out more about what we’re up to
- Discord – Well, color yourself invited to our Discord channel where you can jaw with us about worldbuilding or help us with a collaborative project
- The Website – Oh yeah! We’ve got one of these too, check it out if you want to keep track of the blog where numerous authors talk all things worldbuilding. It’s updated weeklyish.