The shambling horde slowly surrounds a safehouse while the survivors bicker over their dwindling food supplies inside. Zombies are a big part of our stories, they represent, not just an artifact of worldbuilding, but an entire sub genre of fiction. There’s just something about them, they look like us they feed on our flesh, the slow ones represent a gathering threat, the fast ones a vicious predator. But how do we use these monsters in our stories? What kind of worlds support them well and what sort of themes do they draw out? Let’s dive into those questions and more in another awesome episode of The WorldCraft Club Podcast.
- Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
- Warm Bodies – believe it or not it’s loosely based on Romeo and Juliette and I’d be lying if I said I didn’t enjoy it.
- Left For Dead – straight up silly arcade style shooter, highly recommended for some fast silly fun.
- Dead Rising – Trailer for the game, (WARNING: swears abound!)
- Half Life – This is video from Roanoke (a brilliant YouTuber) that explores this.
- Shaun of the Dead
- Brain Dead – This movie is terrible, probably deliberately.
- Invasion of the Body Snatchers
- Night of the Living Dead – Pretty much free to watch now wherever you can find it. I’d really recommend it, powerful commentary.
- The Walking Dead
- 28 Days Later
- World War Z – the book… not the movie.
- Resident Evil – Do the zombies have a sell by date?